Thursday, April 19, 2012

Assessed Samples of Students Work

This example of how I assess students work comes from a subtraction unit where I had to present borrowing. This was the first math unit that I taught by myself to the second graders.











































The first thing that I did at the beginning of this unit was to give them a pre-assessment. I told the kids to fill it out as best they could. It would not be for a grade, but it would be for me to see what I need to teach. Since this was completely new material for the second graders they had no idea how to do these problems. But I knew what my starting out point would be now. I would have to start from scratch.











































After the final test I gave them a post-assessment. As you can see it is the same exact as the pre-assessment. Most of the kids did very well on this after completing the unit. I wanted to use the same exact questions so that I can better gauge how much the students learned from me teaching them this subtraction with borrowing unit.

After looking at the post-assessments I felt good about where my class was with subtraction and borrowing. Some of the kids still missed some, so we went over our steps for each problem and did them on the board.

Throughout this unit if a student missed 2 or less I would have them redo the problems they missed. I feel this is a powerful learning experience because the students have to look back to the problems that they got wrong and find out why they missed it then go back through and do it correctly. This is also a good chance for me to see who is understanding and who is rushing through their work. If a student has a correction and they do not get why they missed it, or do not know how to do it, then they can come up and get extra help from me.

Everyday after teaching this unit on subtraction I would do a problem of the day. The problem would be subtraction with borrowing. As we went through other units I would add other problems from those units as well. I think that this was helpful because the students had to remember what they had learned and use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment