I attended the MEA conference in 2011 in Missoula, MT. I was able to go around to all the different booths and learn about multiple things that will help me in my future classroom. While I was there I also attended two math presentations.
The first one that I went to was about geometry. They taught us how to make a geometric kite out of straws and tissue paper. The lady that was presenting the project was very helpful. She went through all the steps and sent us all home with the directions as well as the standards that are relevant for different grade levels. I thought this was such a cool lesson because it brings fun and real life to geometry which is sometimes hard to do. I also thought this lesson was cool because it could be used in almost any classroom. You can talk about different things for first graders than for sixth graders while still doing the same project. This is one project that I am defiantly doing in my future classroom.
The other presentation that I went to was a lecture on math standards. While this presentation was important and very relevant for every teacher that was there it was not as exciting as the first one. I took notes and learned a few things that I did not learn in my methods math class. Before I went to this presentation I was hoping that they would talk more about how to put the standards into your everyday lesson plans. But instead they talked about what the standards were and that we need to be aware of them.
The whole experience was great. It was fun being at the event with a whole bunch of other educators who are all there because they want to become better teachers. I think that it is so important to always be looking for ways to get better and that is something that I saw from most all of the teacher that were there, and that made the whole experience worth while
No comments:
Post a Comment