I had a very difficult time trying to decide what was my best piece of academic work. I decided that I would choose the project that I personally learned the most from. This would be my Science Notebook. Before this class I thought of Science as only a textbook. But learning how to use a Science Notebook has opened so many doors with Science. There are so many avenues that can be explores and so many things that you can learn by simply using a Science Notebook.
In this assignment we were given 5 white beads that we were to take home and make observations about during the weekend. They were sensitive to the sun. They would change colors in only the heat of the sun. After the weekend we came back together in class and we talked about our observations. Then our Professor assigned us to make a Science Notebook using these colored beads. We had previously been given what needed to be included in a Science Notebook.
All we were given were these beads. We were to come up with a question that had to do with the beads and we had to come up with questions and problems to obtain more understanding about the beads. I really enjoyed that it was up to us to learn more about them. Everyone in the class could learn different things that would be meaningful to them. This made me realise that it is important for students to be able to learn things themselves. As a teacher I should just be the guide on the side. Not just someone in from of the room telling my students what they need to learn.
Every student has their own thoughts and they are able to come up with questions and problems on their own. I love this way of teaching. It is very meaningful for a student to come up with a question of their own and do some research to find that answer.
I student taught in 2nd grade and I was able to start Science Journals with that class. It is a great teaching device. My Cooperating Teacher has adopted this method and says that she will use it from now on. I was pleased to share this with her and happy that her future classes can use this too.











No comments:
Post a Comment