Thursday, April 19, 2012

Technology in a lesson plan

My technology lesson plan comes from one of my 8th grade English classes. We had been doing a Mythology unit for the 3 weeks prior to this assignment. I chose to do this lesson so that the students could research and learn about a God/Goddess that they have not been able to work with. The reaction from my students was wonderful. They loved this project. Below is the lesson plan for this project:


Lesson name:  My Fake Wall Mythology                     Grade: 8th

Instructor: Holly Graybeal                                       Date: 4/12/2012

Instructional objectives:
-         I can recall what I have been taught about the Greek Gods and Goddesses and put that information into a fake Facebook page.
-         I can use technology to show that I have learned from this unit.
-         I can accurately account for the God/Goddess that I have been assigned.
-         I can follow the instructions and put effort into this project.

Rational: A teacher would teach this to their students to:
-         To have the students show me what they know about that certain God/Goddess that they have been given.
-         To give the students a chance to research and learn about mythology,
-         To have students use technology to learn.

Materials:
-         A rubric for each student
-         Directions for each student
-         A computer for each student


Procedures:

     Review:

-         I will hand out a piece of paper out to each student and then ask them the question of the day. “With your God or Goddess that you used in your newspaper article name the Greek and Roman name as well as their power and symbol.”

     Explanation of activity:
-         I will show the kids the Fake Wall of Hermes. I will show them the pictures and the comments.
-         Then I will go over the rubric and compare it against the example page.
-         Then I will tell them that we have today and tomorrow that they can do this then it needs to be turned in Friday before we leave class.

     Process:
-         We will go down to the computer lab and get logged on.
-         Then I will have them get onto www.fakebook.com .
-         I will tell them that they need to create their own account with their email and password.
-         After they do that they can start their project and get to work.
-         They will have all class period Thursday and Friday to work on it.

     Evaluation:
-         The main evaluation of this project will be the print out of the final project and I will use the rubric to grade it.
-         The other evaluation will be the final test that will be given the following week.

Reflection:

          This lesson was really fun! The students were very involved and loved researching their God/Goddess because they got to do something that they enjoy with the material that they found. Most of the kids did a great job and used their rubrics to make sure all of the pieces fit into place.
          At the start of the lesson I had a projector attached to a laptop so that the students could see me get onto the site and start the project, that way when I sent them on their own they would know what they needed to be doing. As technology can sometimes go, the laptop froze, and I could not get on to show them that way. So they all had to gather around me on a computer to see. Since I only have 12 students that worked fine. But it is hard when technology ruins your plans.
          I got great feedback from the 8th graders and this is defiantly a project that I would like to do again.


References:

_______________________________________________________________________________
 Below is an example of one of my students final project.








No comments:

Post a Comment