My Mid-Term lesson reflection was taken from my student teaching journal. Everyday I wrote how my day was and I think this is the best way to portray my teaching experience thus far.
Student Teaching Journal
Week # 1
1-3-2012
Today was my first day Student Teaching. Our first class was 8th grade English. I was introduced to the students. We talked about New Years Resolutions and Mrs. Verlanic assigned the class to write 3 paragraphs about their resolutions. After 8th Grade English we returned to our 2nd Graders. I was introduced to them and learned their names. There are only 10 Second Graders. I am excited to be in this class. The kids are great. Today we got used to being back in school. We didn’t do much work. Mrs. Verlanic explained the January centers to the students and I ran a few of the papers that needed to be ran.
1-4-2012
Today was a “real” day in Second Grade. We did our morning work and had all of the regular lessons. It was nice to see how the classroom ran on a day to day basis. Mrs. Verlanic runs a tight ship. She is very organized and excellent at classroom management. I feel lucky to be learning from her.
1-5-2012
Mrs. Verlanic took the Second Graders skiing today so I taught 8th Grade English by myself today. The did their vocabulary books and journals. Today was ski day for the elementary school. I am the only one in Second Grade. Mrs. Verlanic left me a list of things to get done today while the class is gone. I re-did the January Calendar, got 8th Grade English ideas, Looked up lesson plans, and studied our Read Well Program. I also brought my criket machine and make name tags for all of us.
1-6-2012
8th Graders went to the computer lab and did Wordle with their New Years Resolutions. This was a fun idea to do with them. They turned out awesome and the students enjoyed making them. In second grade we had my first show and tell. The students loved to show some of the things that they got for Christmas. Then we moved into our Snowflake Unit. We talked about Snowflake Bently and did a fact chart. Mrs. V and I went through our lesson plans for next week. She showed me that she always copies the morning work for the following week the Friday or Thursday before. She has folders for each day of the week in her desk that she would put the appropriate morning work in. Its always good to be organized. ____________________________________________________________________
Week #2
1-9-2012
In 8th Grade we reviewed for their semester exams that are on Wednesday. We told them what was going to be on them, and then finished our New Years Resolutions. In Second Grade Mrs. Verlanic went over morning work, and then I sat with her and the reading groups and learned how the groups work and what to do on a day to day basis. This afternoon Mrs. Verlanic was observed on a fun science lesson that she did. It was the Ice Cube Experiment. The kids really enjoyed it. They learned that heat melts ice, and that the solids turn into liquids.
1-10-2012
8th Grade did their Vocab and Writing into the day. Then Mrs.V read to the students the book, Touching Spirit Bear.Second Grade I explained the morning work to the students and sat in with the reading groups. Math we worked on double digit addition. Then the students went to P.E..
1-11-2012
The 8th Graders had their semester tests today. Their class period was 2 hours, Mrs. V stayed for the first hour and then I stayed for the last hour by myself. I graded their Vocab part of their test and then read over the 5 paragraph essays that they wrote. The second graders did their morning work and I did the reading groups by my self today. The kids did double digit addition with Mrs. V today and then finished up the Snowflake Bentley unit. Mrs. V and I went over lesson plans together and I put all the information in my own lesson plan books so that Mrs. V and I can have the same information. My University Supervisor, Sue Peterson, came in to see my today and we had our first meeting. She used to teach here in Drummond and she was an excellent teacher. I am glad that I can get feedback from her. I will help me.
1-12-2012
Since its semester tests we did not have to go to the 8th Graders today. I got to watch Mrs. V do the calendar today and it was fun to be with the second graders all day. We got to say the pledge with them in the morning and do Read Well and Think Pad. When reading groups came one group had to do their written and oral tests. We have to time them and write how many words per minute that they read and then chart their success. It was fun to see how that worked and to see how good the students are doing and how well they are progressing. This afternoon we did a fun snowflake art project and it was fun to see the kids so excited. Mrs. V and I got our lesson plans and morning work all ready for the next week. We copied papers for the following week and got organized.
1-13-2012
We didn’t have the 8th Graders again today. Mrs. V let me do the calendar today by myself and it was fun to get to do that. The kids let me know when I was not doing something the way that it is usually done. It was an early out day for the students. They get out at 11:00am today and then the teachers stay til school is usually over to do their semester grades. Mrs. V and I worked on plans for 8th grade and tried to map out my teaching schedule for the rest of my Student teaching. Then I helped her grade the 8th Graders New Years Resolution papers and Semester Tests. It is nice to get to see 8th grade and second grade. I think it will be good experience.
_________________________________________________________________________
Week #3
1-16-2012
Happy Martin Luther King Day!! In 8th grade we watched a documentary on MLK and then discussed him and what he stood for. It was interesting to me that not many students knew a lot about him and that they were so unaware that all these awful things happened not too long ago. I hope it opened their eyes to the struggles that some people are still having. This 8th grade bunch in a little interesting. They do not show much emotion about anything. I can never tell if they are enjoying what we are doing, or if they hate it. None of them talk much and it is strange. Maybe its just a junior high thing. … who knows.The second graders had their spelling pretests, morning work, and reading groups. This week I am in charge of the reading group that is on Unit 8. Caleb, Ben, Cooper, Tyler, and Hyrum are in it. They are all good readers and they get through material pretty quickly. I enjoy having my own reading group and being responsible for them and what they do. After lunch the second graders had their double digit addition test and then we learned about Martin Luther King ourselves. We had a book packet that we had them complete and then we watched a United Streaming about MLK. After school we had an IEP meeting for ShyAnn. This was my first one that I went to. I really like how all the members are there and just wanting her to be in a place that will help be succeed.
1-17-2012
The 8th grade was given the MLK packet to complete that had more information in it. We finished the movie and then worked on the packet.In second grade I hade my reading group and we did not get everything done that was planned so I will have to move my lesson plans over into tomorrow. I need better time management skills and I need to make sure that the students are always on task. Today I am also starting my first real subject that I am teaching by myself. Money!! Money is complicated and I think it will be a good unit for me to start on so I can see how I do as a teacher. Mrs. V videotaped me and my first lesson so that I can see myself and see how I am doing as a teacher and see what I can improve on. When I watched the video I did not think that I sounded like that or looked like that. There were some things that I really need to work on. I didn’t even tell the kids why we were going to learn about money... EEK. There is a whole lot to work on. But I am having a lot of fun with this class. We present a Reader’s Theater on next Monday so we are practicing that today. It is about Snowflake Bentley.
1-18-2012
We had Vocab and Writing into the Day with Mrs. V and the 8th grade. I went over the words with the 8th Graders and then they worked for about 30 min. on the vocab and then Mrs. V read from their book. In second grade, I did my reading group and did not get everything done again! For math I did a fun unit where we talked about money and had the students buy things from our fake store that we set up. Mrs. V and I both had a store and I bought suckers, candies, and fruit roll-ups for the students to buy. They really enjoyed being able to buy candy and food and use their fake money to do it.After math we started in on our Polar unit. We did Polar cards and polar pocket for the cards to go in. While the students were working on that Mrs. V let me go down and copy a bunch of her unit ideas and things that I can use in my future classroom. I am excited to be able to use these things and thankful to Mrs. V for being so willing to give me things. She is a great teacher.
1-19-2012
Holy Smokes! We got about a foot and a half of snow last night. So school did not start til about 10:00am this morning. So we didn’t have 8th grade today. When we came in we stared with calendar and I got to do it again. I think that the calendar is fun. There is a whole lot of things that you can learn from the calendar. Then we did just a little bit of morning work and our reading was cut short too. In math I did 5-2 and Xtra- Math (Which is a computer math that helps the students learn their math facts). It was not too exciting. But we needed to go over the coins more so that they can have better recognition right away. After school we went over our lesson plans and got our morning work together. Then we had an IEP for Dylan. He really struggles in the regular classroom and needs some extra help to be successful.
1-20-2012
Gone today for my orientation seminar.... but by the time I had gotten there it had been cancelled for bad roads. Well that would have been good to know before we left at 8:30am. I guess I needed to check my e-mail more often.
_______________________________________________________________________
Week #4
1-23-2012
I start 2 subjects today!! I still have my math and now I am going to take over both the reading groups so I will have reading too. In 8th grade we talked about “I am from” poems and read an example. Then we handed out a paper that had a “plug and chug” formula for the poems. It is a fun poem. We assigned the students to have them done by Thursday. In second grade we discussed morning work. Then since I am in charge of Reading I gave the students their pre-test for spelling and then did both reading groups. I still need to work on time management. For math I had a worksheet for them that helped re-enforce the counting on in money and then they did Xtra-Math. After music they worked on their Arctic polar charts and then we preformed our Reader’s Theatre for the Kindergarten, first, and third grades. They did such a wonderful job. Yay Second grade!!
1-24-2012
In 8th grade we worked on our “I am from” poems. We told them that they needed to have their rough draft done on Thursday so that we can go down to the computer lab to type them up. In second grade Mrs. V explained our morning work and then I got the reading groups done. We got all the unit exercises that I had planed done. Yay! For math I taught 5-3 and Xtra-Math. We did not finish 5-3 so tomorrow we will have to go over it and finish it up. Then we did our polar packet charts and then had P.E..
1-25-2012
8th graders did vocab and writing into the day. Then Mrs. V read to them out of their book. In second grade we did our morning work and I taught reading to both groups. My group with Hadley, Douglas, and Samuel is falling behind a little bit and I am starting to worry about them. For math we finished up 5-3 and then did computer money games that Mrs. V and I had found earlier. After that we worked on our Polar Packets. Then the students went to Music. While they were there we talked about 8th grade English and talked about what we were going to do the next week.
1-26-2012
In 8th grade we went down to the computer lab and had the students type out the “I am from” poems. Some of the students did not have them done so they had to work on them. This is frustrating when the students do not have their stuff done when it is due because it messes up our lesson plans and throws the day off. After the students were done typing their poems then we went back to class and we did a spelling bee. We had a little morning work because of library. After library I did my reading class. For math we did 5-4 and the graphing cash worksheet. Then we worked on our polar pop-up and research. After school Mrs. V and I got together and worked on our lesson plans for the next week and got our morning work copied and in the right folders.
1-27-2012
Happy 100th day of school. In 8th grade we split them up into 4 groups and gave thema big piece of paper. They had to write 100 things they are thankful for on it, and then graphite their names on the top of it. They had a whole lot of fun doing it and wanted to not go to second period so they could stay and work on it. In second grade we had a Pooh day. Winnie the Pooh that is. We got with first grade and had Pooh centers. Before lunch we watched a Pooh movie. Then they had P.E., guidance, and then we dismissed for the day. It was a fun day to celebrate school. Tonight from 3-6pm we have my orientation at the University.
___________________________________________________________________
Week #5
1-30-2012
In 8th grade we finished our 100 things that we are thankful for and graphite. In second grade we did our pre-test for spelling and morning work. Then we did our reading groups. We got everything done!! For math we played computer games and then do a worksheet. From 12:30 to 1:20 the students got to go over and play with the National Guard obstacle coarse. It was fun to watch them play with that. We did not stay there the whole time, we came back over and Mrs. V had me copy a bunch of units and papers that I can file and use in my future classroom. It is a good feeling to have some things ready for when I am ready to be a teacher. After that we finished up our polar stuff and got that all done so we can start magnets tomorrow.
1-31-2012
Today is the day that Sue Peterson is going to come in and observe me teach my math lesson. In 8th grade we are still talking about diversity, so we started watching the movie “Freedom Writers” today. We had to sent home a permission slip making sure that the students can watch the PG-13 movie. Everyone had theirs signed except four students so they called their parents and they gave verbal permission over the phone. I think this movie will open their eyes to a lot of things. In second grade we did morning work and I did our reading groups. I am still worried about Hadley’s group. I think that she might be holding back Douglas and Samuel. I talked to Mrs. V about it and she is going to see if she can get her extra help. I feel like she is not moving forward where the other are moving forward. After lunch Sue came in. We went over some things that we needed to. We found the other times that she was coming to observe me and when we were going to do our midterm conference. I felt that my lesson went really good. It is funny how I feel more confident as a teacher right now, and it has only been 2 weeks since my video tape. Sue and I had a conference and she thought I did good too. She was going to write down her notes and then return them to me. We had a hot chocolate party today for those students who have gotten their morning work done this whole month ( they had 2 free bee days). It is nice to reward the students when they work hard. After school today we are getting ready for February. We are putting up the new calendar and taking down the old January artwork.
2-1-2012
Welcome to February! I can not believe that the second month of student teaching is here and that I have already been here for a whole month. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. I love the students and I have really lucked out on my cooperating teacher. She is so wonderful!! The 8th graders continued to watch Freedom Writers today. They were in a trance the whole time and ate it all up. The second graders were a little wound up today. Douglas had to turn a card for not following a long during reading class and talking back. He never does that. Must be the weather or something. The reading groups went good. Caleb and his group had to take a written and oral assessment today and he did not do well. He should not have passed. But I told him that if tonight he goes home and reads with his family a lot them we will redo the test. It seems that his reading has gone downhill a little bit lately. We had our Math Money test today. Four of my students got 100%!! I was so excited. I made them award cards and sent them home with their parents to let them know how proud I am. During our prep we worked on lesson plans and got the papers in the folder for next week. We also read some things for 8th grade English and we need to make up a key. Its funny how I need to refresh on a lot of the materials. After school Mrs. V had a meeting about school insurance so I stayed and got things together for my first lesson on subtraction with borrowing. I think this will be a tough concept. But tomorrow I will use manipulative's and I think that will help.
2-2-2012
Today seemed a little funky. The kids were wound up again today. There were a whole lot of cards being flipped because they were not paying attention. In 8th grade we finished watching the Freedom Writers movie. I enjoyed it and think that it was beneficial for the students to watch it. We discussed it a little after it was over and, as usual, not much was said by the 8th graders. After that we read our “I am from” poems and I enjoyed hearing from them. The poems were fun to hear. However, only 2 of the students looked up at all, and that was only for about a half a second at a time. They seemed a little nervous.In 2nd grade we were working on our morning work and reading. When the students went to library Justin and Dylan got into trouble for misbehaving. When they got back we finished reading group. Then we had recess duty today. I enjoy seeing the other students in our school. The 5th and 6th grade girls had me play jump rope with them. After lunch I taught my first subtraction unit with borrowing. The students were talking and not paying attention. Tyler and Justin had to switch cards for playing with their math manipulatives while I was teaching. I was a little frustrated because this is a tough concept and many things build off of this and so it was important for them to listen. After math we did some ground hog’s day stuff. During last recess I stayed in with some students to finish things and Tyler started crying saying that he misses his mom. He said that he has not seen her in a really long time. My heart broke for him. How can I teach a child who is so sad and thinking about other things. I feel bad for him and his situation whatever it might be. After school I finished my Reading and Math lessons for the next week. I also looked up Weekly Reader online to see if our class can do it that way, but I think until I get more practice I will stick with the paper version for now.
2-3-2012
Today was a fun day. In 8th grade we played the line game that we saw on the movie and the kids thought that was fun. Then Mrs. V read out of their class book. In second grade we had show n tell and Jessi brought Tristan in for my show n tell. It was fun to show him off and the kids loved him. The 7th graders came in and read to us a fairy tail. After lunch we worked on February calendar and then we went over to the pep assembly for the high school wrestling tournaments. I had to leg wrestle Mr. Parke... and of course, he won. He actually won the whole tournament of leg wrestling. Our second graders had a cheer for each of the wrestler boys and they did a great job. Of course all the high school kids loved their cheers. This weekend I am working on my Math subtraction lessons for next week and looking for other unit ideas. I also am going to keep reading my Hattie Big Sky that I am going to have the 8th graders read.
_____________________________________________________________________
Week #6
2-6-2012
In 8th grade the students worked on a Freedom Writers packet and I corrected some of their writing papers. I find it difficult to correct writing papers. There are so many elements in writing that I do not know what I should take off for all the time. Cari and I split up the papers and we both correct them all and if we see anything that we think should be changed then we talk it over and decide on something. She told me that if you go through the papers and decide what you think is an “A” paper and a “B” paper and so on it is helpful to put a number grade on. In second grade today was my first day with ½ day teaching by myself. After 8th grade I finished up our writing and then handed out morning work and discussed it. Then I had reading groups. We also had to do the spelling pre-test. I seem to have a hard time fitting everything in on Mondays. I think that next week I am going to start trying to have the class stand in line and write the words on the board and maybe that will go by faster. After recess I had my other reading group and today Hadley read really well. I was proud of her. It seems if I let the other two students read before her and she has time to listen and follow along then she can recognize the words better. After lunch we had math and I reviewed how to subtract using borrowing. We still are using the manipulatives. They are such a good tool that I think that I will allow then to use them if they are having a hard time whenever. Mrs. V told me a good suggestion that I am going to use tomorrow. If the Bottom is Bigger, Borrow. It will be a fun way for students to know what to look for when they are deciding when to borrow. Today the kids said, “This math is fun”. I enjoy when they are having fun learning. I hope that I can keep it up. After math they went to music. While they were there I made a sample for a Valentine's art project. I had fun doing it. When they got back Cari let them free explore with magnets. They learn a whole lot by just playing and manipulating them. Then they watched a United Streaming. After recess we had a study hall for those students who are not done with their polar unit. The students that are done got to do extra math!We were supposed to have an IEP meeting today for Dylan after school, but he was at the Dr. office so we rescheduled it for next Monday.
2-7-2012
In 8th grade today we took the students down to the computer lab and they watched a short video biography of Anne Frank. Then they had to read another biography and answer questions about it. Their answers today were not impressive. They are not giving much effort in their work.In 2nd grade I taught a ½ day. So I did morning work again, reading, and math. During math I had to become the mean teacher. I think the students are still trying to see just how far they can push me when Mrs. V is not in the room, so I needed to be a little more stern to them today. I feel bad when I am like that, and I do not like being that way, but also the students can not act that way. They can not learn if they are disrupting class all the time. After last recess we practiced our Reader’s Theatre that we are going to preform next Monday. Tomorrow after school we are going to get our lesson plans together because Thursday we are having a ski day, and I am the teacher that will be up in the lodge all day in case the students need something. I guess I will need to bring a good book.
2-8-2012
Today in 8th English they did writing into the day and their spelling books. Mrs. V read a little to them from their book. In second grade the kids were a little wild because they were excited to go skiing tomorrow. We did our morning work and our reading groups. Everything this morning went pretty smooth. In the afternoon I taught them some more subtraction but today was a transition day so they started doing subtraction in a column without manipulatives. The students were frustrated and I became a little frustrated when I found out that some of my students were not listening to my instruction. This is a tough concept and I know that I need to be more patient, so I did not have them turn in their homework today, we are going to work on it again Monday so that the students will not feel rushed and hopefully feel more confident with it. After math they went to music, then we made our valentine bags that will hold our valentines. They are little heart kitty cats glued on to a brown bag. After last recess we practiced our Reader’s Theatre. The students are doing better already with their lines. After school Cari and I did our lesson plans for the next week. I can not believe how the time is flying. It is so much fun.
2-9-2012
Ski Day
2-10-2012
Today was a fast day. In 8th grade we did a spelling bee. In second grade we did a spelling test, show and tell, and a weekly reader. Then we worked on finishing our magnets man stations. After lunch the kids had P.E. and guidance so we didn't have them all afternoon. Cari and I worked on lessons and I copied a few papers for my future classroom. All in all it was a good, fast day.
__________________________________________________________________
Week #7
2-13-2012
In 8th grade English we took the students to the computer lab and they had to look up articles about Miep Gies and a police officer from LAPD about the King beatings. They are reading those articles and then answering short questions about them. It is interesting how 8th graders do not write complete sentences or even punctuate their correctly. I wonder if it is laziness or if they do not know correct grammar. They are an interesting crew.In second grade I introduced a good behavior marble jar. I thought that it would be a good idea to “catch them doing something good” instead of just bad things. I told them if we fill up the whole jar before I am done student teaching them we will have a pizza and ice cream party. They were excited about this and they kept trying to do or say nice things in front of me to get a marble, but I told them that I have to catch them doing it. They can not just do it to get a marble. In reading we did a spelling pretest like we always do, but today I made the students stand in a line to write the words instead of sitting in their seats and standing up to take their turns. It went a whole lot faster and we were able to get more things done in reading because of it. So that is a change that I will do from now on. After that we had lunch. After lunch we finished our math from Thursday for 15 minutes and then they went to Music. While they were there I made copies and prepared for an 8th grade English lesson that I am teaching on Thursday about Miep Gies. After that they came back and we did a candy count Valentines project. After last recess we performed our Readers Theatre and since Hyrum went home sick I filled in for him. I am proud of how well they did because we did not get to practice much.After school Mrs. V and I have an IEP meeting for Dylan and we discussed his learning needs.
2-14-2012
Happy Valentines Day! The first period of the day I covered for Ms. Popken’s 3rd grade class. He had to drop her dog off at the vet so I took her class for the first hour or so. It was fun to see how that class did things and how they differed from our 2nd grade. We did reading together and the class read out loud. Ms. Popkens had popsicle sticks with the students names on them so that it would be random who was reading. They are a fun crew and I enjoyed working with them for a little while. Back in the 2nd grade the kids were really excited for our party. They were hyped up and ready to rumble. We did our morning work and reading. During reading my group who had Samuel, Hyrum, and Hadley had their written and oral tests. I have been really worried about Hadley, but she did great reading, and lately has really been improving. It makes me happy to see her succeed. After recess we had our Valentine’s party. The kids opened their Valentine’s and ate their treats. After they had a full fledged sugar high we watched Charlie Browns Valentine movie. Luckily after that the kids had P.E. so they got to run around and run off some of their sugar high. It was a fun day to party with the kids. They all got me Valentines and I really enjoyed what the kids had to say to me. Samuel made Mrs. V and I a trophy from wood for the World's Best Teachers. Man I love these kids!
2-15-2012
In 8th grade today we had them write in their journals. Brad printed out a picture of Tim Tebow for them to journal about. It was interesting to hear what they had to say about it. After that they had to type out the poems that Mrs. Verlanic had assigned the day before. When they finished typing, they could work on their vocab. For the last 5 minutes Mrs. V read their story to them. Tomorrow I am teaching them a lesson on Miep Gies. I hope that it goes well.In second grade we did our morning work and the group with Hadley, Samuel, and Douglas started a new unit, but we did not get through everything that I wanted to. The next group I started a new thing with. I call on a student to play “teacher” and they get to call on another student to read. The “teacher” has to follow along and help correct the student reading if they miss a word or say it incorrectly. The reason that I decided to do that was because the kids were having a hard time following along. The other students follow along because if the “teacher” misses a correction then they do not get to be the “teacher” anymore. It seemed to work good today, but we will see how it goes. After lunch we did math. We reviewed our subtraction rules and I wrote the steps on the board. All the students did really well on it. We start two double digit subtraction tomorrow. I hope they do good with that too. Justin is really struggling with math. He is not a strong reader, and he can not even read the directions to do the math. We have a meeting for him next Wednesday and hopefully we can come up with a plan for him to be successful. After math we read a book about Pres. Lincoln. We started a project on him because presidents day is soon. They had music and during music Mrs. V and I researched some lesson ideas and talked about lesson plans.After school we wrote our lesson plans out for the next week as far as we could. We also had to correct papers for students that had missed a day, and for the 8th graders.
2-16-2012
Today I taught the 8th graders about Miep Gies and I think that it went well. We read the whole article together as a class and then discussed our feelings about what we read. There was not much discussion because they are a quiet bunch. After that I gave them the rest of the time to work on their discussion questions.In second grade we went straight to library. When they got back they went out for first recess. After they got back we had reading and morning work. In Caleb, Cooper, Hyrum, Ben, and Tyler’s group we had our oral and written test. They all did great and I am really proud of them. The other group did some reading today and they did good as well.After lunch we did math and today was the first day we did 2 double digit subtraction. I thought that it was going to be a really difficult lesson to teach but the students picked it up really fast. Hadley forgot to subtract the tens column and so she missed a lot, but after I showed her what she did wrong, she understood and did it correctly.After math they went to keyboarding. While they were in keyboarding Mrs. V and I did some prep work for our Pres. Washington lesson tomorrow. We made a flip book, and I spent time making an example of it. It is fun to be creative and to find new ideas. The kids had a good day in all and tomorrow is Friday and Cooper’s birthday. After school Mrs. V and I did some more prep work and filled in some more lesson plans.
2-17-2012
Today is Coopers Birthday!In 8th grade we studied some CRT tests and tried to work on how to correctly answer the questions. We want them to be prepared for what will be on there. In second grade we did our spelling test, show n’ tell, and a weekly reader. After that was recess. After recess we finished up our President Lincoln stuff before lunch.After lunch we had math. I had the students do problems on the board to practice before they did their seat work. Most of them did great, but there were some students who forgot to subtract the tens column after they subtracted the ones column. So I wrote on the board our 5 rules:1. Circle the larger number in the ones column.2. Use our saying to see if we need to borrow. (Bottom bigger borrow)3. Borrow if needed.4. Subtract the ones column.5. Subtract the tens column.This seemed to help the students focus if they got lost or was not sure what to do next. Today some of the kids were really hyper and excited for Cooper’s birthday party. After math we got ready to go home. The kids went to guidance with Mr. O for the last hour.After school we finished our lesson plans and organized our papers for the following week and put them into their correct folders. _________________________________________________________________
Week #8
2-20-2012
Today was not a good day. In 8th grade we finished a few spelling bee’s so that we could have the spelling names in today. Sami won first, Audrie won second, and Olivia is the alternate. After that Mrs. V talked to them about CRT stuff and then we read from our class book. Second grade was very rowdy today. They were out of control a little bit. Our reading groups were not too bad. We had our spelling pre-test and it is interesting that the lower reading group are worse spellers than the better reading group, but also it makes sense. After reading we had lunch and then after lunch we had math. We did a worksheet and xtra math. They were starting to get really wild then. After math they had music. When they came back from music I was getting ready to teach my Presidents Pets lesson. Sue Peterson was here to observe me during that lesson. It was a fun lesson and the kids were wild. I had to kick Dylan out of class after about 5 minutes of being in class. He was all over the place jumping up and down and rolling on the floor and blurting out answers and yelling at kids. I took him out and Mrs. V took him to Mr. Parke. The kids were all talking out of turn and telling stories and laughing and being very disrespectful. I wanted my lesson to go really well because I had my supervisor there watching me. I was very frustrated and felt like the lesson was awful. Every single one of the students were bad, except for maybe Hadley who is always well behaved. After I had my meeting with Sue she said that she thought that I did a good job and that I stayed poised while the kids were being disruptive. She thought that I should have maybe made the kids switch more cards and nip their behavior in the bud as fast as I could. So after they came in from recess, I had a talk with them and told them that I will NOT tolerate that behavior anymore and that if they are disrespectful to me again then they will immediately call their parents at home and explain to them how they are acting. I told them that they need to shape up and act like second graders. Then I told them that the whole class needs to stay in from recess for 5 minutes the next day in complete silence to remind them how they should act when someone is teaching a lesson. After I got done talking to them Mrs.V scolded them also. They all hung their heads and Mrs. V made them all switch a card for acting that way. I do not think we will have any behavior problems for a while. After school Mrs. V and I decided that we both need to start making kids switch cards even for a little infraction so that they get used to how we expect them to act always. I hate being the mean teacher and nagging at them all the time, but I cannot teach them if they are not listening and we cannot have them be disrespectful either. After that Sue came back and we had my midterm meeting. They went over the paperwork and Sue wanted to go home and write more things down and then return it to me. I have to write my midterm response as soon as I get it back. I love Sue and Mrs. V. Today was a bad day and I felt like a bad teacher, but they reassured me and told me that they were happy to see me handle a bad class because that is real life. I have been by myself with these kids many many times and they had never before acted that way, so I was frustrated and confused why they would choose today to be naughty when we had a supervisor there to watch me. But I guess that is teaching.
No comments:
Post a Comment