1. I volunteered at the Campfire after school program at Cold Springs Elementary School.
Fall 2009
8 weeks
This was such a fun experience for me. At the time I was living right next door to Cold Spring Elementary School. I would go over at 3pm when their school got out and be there til 5-5:15pm when their parents came to pick them up. The kids were from Kindergarten to 5th graders that were multi-cultural and had many different learning levels. For the first half hour they would work on homework if they had it. I would help them if they needed it. After homework we had a snack that I helped prepare and hand out. Then we would have an activity. Since their was so many age levels that we had to deal with there would be different activities that the kids could choose from. I would rotate going with the different ages. This was good for me because I got to see the difference between ages and was able to get to know all of the kids.
I had so much fun getting to know the kids and being able to spend time with them outside of a classroom. I got to know them on an individual level and found out a lot about them. This experience was only for 8 weeks, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the kids at Cold Springs Elementary.
2. I volunteer as a Sunday school teacher and as an administrator to about 10 other teachers and workers.
2010- Present
I belong to the LDS church in Drummond, MT. I volunteer as a Sunday school teacher. I prepare and give a lesson each Sunday to a group of about 30 kids ages 3-11. There are about 13 boys and 17 girls. This has been a good learning experience for me because there is such a vast age difference that it is hard to find something that would work for each age and learning level. The lessons are only about 20 minutes and most of the time include a learning game, or an object lesson. I love working with these kids. They keep me on my toes. Every Sunday I am astounded at how much these kids pick up and learn. It is amazing to me how smart and talented each one of them are.
Along with teaching another lady and myself are the administrators to the youth ages 3-11. This means that we are over about 6 other Sunday school teacher. We have to give them the lesson plans and make sure that they are organized and truly care about the kids. We hold meeting to discuss how everything is being run and to make sure that we are not behind on things. I also am over the Scouting program which has 2 leaders and about 6 scouts ages 8-11. I help with the planning and the activities. I make sure that the leaders are there and prepared. The other organization that I am over is called 'Achievement Days'. This is for the girls ages 8-11. They get together once a month and do a fun activity. That organization has another 2 leaders that we are over. We make sure that they are prepared and take good care of the kids.
This volunteer experience has given me so many learning moments. I have a huge respect for administrators and what they do. It involves more that what it seems. I love this experience. I care so much about each one of these kids and love to see them succeed. I look forward to each time that I get to work with these kids. I have been doing this for 2 years now and I hope to do it for many more years.
No comments:
Post a Comment