Thursday, April 19, 2012

Video Tape Critiques

Video Critique #1 
January 17th, 2012
Video Not Shown

My first video of myself teaching was when I had only been teaching for three weeks. It was my first time teaching math. I was teaching the first lesson on the money unit. I set up three different sections (pennies, nickels, dimes) where the kids could go to each one and look at the different coins that we were going to be learning about. The had a piece of paper to take notes with. After each student was done with each station we came back together and talked about each coin. We discussed the different characteristics or each coin. Then we made a chart on the board with all the information on it.

When I first watched the video I thought..., "Do I really sound like that?". I looked a little nervous and had my lesson plans in hand so that I did not forget anything that I wanted to say. I did not like how that looked. After watching this I decided that I do not want to have my lesson plans in my hands while I am teaching. If I need to look at it I will just have it set aside near me so that I can look at it when I need to.

The next thing that I noticed was how often I say, "You guys" and "Um". Since I was nervous I kept referring to my students as you guys instead of a more appropriate way to address them. I have had a hard time with this before and made it a goal to work on it, so it is good to see myself and to see how much I actually say it.

I feel like I did a good job at letting the students know how much time they had left with each station. I would give them a one minute and 30 second warning for each station. I think that was a good thing to do so that the kids knew how much time they had to finish up, and it kept me on time with my lesson.

I liked that we made a chart on the chalk board for each of the coins, but I had my back turned to the class a lot, and I did not like that part. I will have to work on making sure that I never completely turn my back to the students during a lesson. Maybe next time I could have some of the students come up and write the information on the board instead of me being the only one writing.

All together, I think that this was a good lesson. The students were engaged and really excited to be learning about money. They were really well behaved and had fun being up moving around to the different stations. I am happy for the opportunity to see myself teach so that I can see the things that I need to work on during these next 13 weeks of student teaching.
________________________________________________________________________________
Video Critique #2
April 11th, 2012

This video is of me teaching my reading class. We started doing an exercise in our workbooks. We went around the table and each student would read. Then we read a chapter in our book. After that we did a worksheet together.

Right away I could see that my confidence was much better. I looked like a teacher, instead of a student teacher. I was in charge and the kids were very well behaved. This lesson was a lot less interactive, but I felt that Reading class is one of the most important classes that we need to teach so it would be good to see how well I am doing with it.

This reading group has 5 students and they are all very good readers. A few time the students would look over certain words or miss certain letters, so I would have to stop them and have them look at the works again. This was an easy lesson and I feel that I learned more from the students than they learned from me.

I called each student by name and never once referred to them as, "You Guys". This is something that I have in the past had a really hard time with. I made a goal to work on it and have been really conscience of how I am addressing the students.

The one thing that I want to work on is my posture. I look a little bit slouched over. It is important that I look and act professional at all times.

Every time I see myself in a video I learn so much about myself. It is a powerful learning tool and I will continue to use it in my future classroom.



No comments:

Post a Comment